The Art of Conversation – Change Your Life with Confident CommunicationDe (autor) J Apps
en Limba Engleză Hardback – 25 Apr 2014
Good conversation is at the heart of networking, meetings, interviews, negotiations and raising your profile. It can ease your way in work, enabling you to build alliances, create strong relationships with staff, bosses and clients, succeed at interviews, motivate and inspire.
But conversation is something most of us were never taught! We learn to speak as babies, but how conversation actually works is something most of us pick up only haphazardly, and many have yet to learn. Why is it some of us are stuck for words, but others blabber or can t stop? What is it that some people have naturally which enables them to converse comfortably and easily, to engage people and build better relationships?
The Art of Conversation will show you step by step how to converse skillfully and enjoyably with other people, at home, at work, on the phone and in the street– even if you re daunted now, discover the difference good conversation can make in every aspect of your life. Learn to:
–Overcome the most common block to good conversation– fear; find out how to break the silence and keep the conversation going
– Understand the different types of conversation and how they work– which topics and language are suitable for the occasion
– Learn simple methods for being heard and understood, including speaking clearly and audibly, listening well and using non–verbal communication
– Find out how to hold a conversation in tricky situations, including how to disagree, how to speak to those in authority and people you find difficult
–Use conversation to form relationships, improve friendships, make the sale, chat people up, to learn, influence and persuade.
Dimensiuni: 118 x 187 x 24 mm
Greutate: 0.3 kg
Locul publicării: Chichester, United Kingdom
Public țintăPrimary market: This will book will appeal to business people who feel their communication skills are holding them back or are looking to brush up for a particular meeting or interview..
Secondary market: Socially unconfident individuals or those that sense they bore or frustrate others or are somehow missing the plot regarding getting on with other people
Textul de pe ultima copertă
Why is it some of us are stuck for words, but others blabber on? Why do we sometimes find ourselves stumbling, where others seem to converse so comfortably? Good conversational skills can transform every aspect of your world. The simplest conversation can hold a hidden thread of the most intimate and fulfilling connection if you know the secret.
It′s about understanding how conversations work. By mastering the art of conversation, you will know the best way to start one, what to say, how to express yourself and engage with others more effectively.
You′ll learn how to:
- Understand different levels of conversation and how they work
- Express yourself more powerfully with voice and body language
- Hold a conversation in tricky situations, such as speaking to those in authority, disagreements and confrontation
- Deal with conversational drains those negative or self–critical people
- Overcome the most common block to good conversation fear
- Listen dynamically and keep a conversation moving forward
- Build a closer connection with people who matter in your life
By learning the art of conversation, you will have a magic ingredient for wellbeing, success and happiness in many areas of your life.
Part 1: Introducing Conversation 9
1. The Dance of Conversation 11
2. Connecting is What Matters Most 21
3. Getting in the Right State 49
4. Getting a Conversation Going The Basics 65
5. Listening 79
Part 2: The Power of Conversation 99
6. Influencing a Conversation 101
7. Different Kinds of Conversation 117
8. Expressing Yourself 155
Part 3: Sailing Through Tricky Waters 171
9. What to Do If You re Stuck 173
10. Oiling the Wheels 179
11. Role Playing 183
12. Spotting the Games People Play 187
13. Enjoying Disagreement 197
14. Confrontation 201
Part 4: Creative Conversations 213
15. Changing the World One Conversation at a Time 215
About the Author 225
Image Credits 227
An educational, insightful and enjoyable book. Definitely worth a read. (Frost Magazine, June 2014)