More Edinburgh Trams
Autor Kenneth G. Williamsonen Limba Engleză Paperback – 15 iul 2026
Edinburgh did not adopt electric traction until it amalgamated with the Burgh of Leith in 1920. Instead, Edinburgh opted for a cable-hauled system similar to that operated in San Francisco. The first cable car appeared in 1888. Leith's electric system began operation in 1905, terminating at Newhaven. In 1909 the line was extended to Granton. At its height Edinburgh had 371 trams. There were proposals after the Second World War to further extend the system and new trams were built as late as 1950. However, in 1952, after running a trial bus service, Edinburgh Corporation announced that the tram system would be abandoned and converted to bus operation. The last tram ran on 16 November 1956. In 2014 trams returned to the streets of Edinburgh and, although very different from the old trams, have proved very popular. The new tram line has since been extended from York Place to Newhaven.
With a range of rare and previously unpublished images, Kenneth G. Williamson looks at the history of the city's tram system.
Preț: 112.98 lei
Nou
Carte disponibilă
Livrare economică 18 septembrie-02 octombrie
Livrare express 03-09 septembrie pentru 24.14 lei
Specificații
ISBN-10: 1398127485
Pagini: 96
Dimensiuni: 165 x 234 x 9 mm
Greutate: 0.31 kg
Editura: Amberley Publishing
Notă biografică
Kenneth G. Williamson has lived in Edinburgh his entire life and had a lifelong interest in trains and trams. He runs the website trainbuff.net.